Dr. Bonvino is a practicing Lakeville pediatric orthodontist who can create beautiful smiles through the use of all kinds of orthodontic treatments. She also can improve bad bites that occur as a result of tooth or jaw misalignment and affect the way your child smiles, chews, cleans his/her teeth or feels about their smile.
Although orthodontic treatment is for patients of all ages, there is an ideal time period during childhood to begin treatment. Taking advantage of this window of opportunity ensures the most favorable result and the least amount of time and expense. The American Association of Orthodontists has long recommended that parents schedule their children for an initial orthodontic evaluation at the first sign of an orthodontic problem or no later than age 7. At this young age, the first adult molars have erupted and the back bite is established. Even though orthodontic treatment often is not necessary at this age, Dr. Bonvino can create a monitoring plan for your child if needed. For many families in Lakeville child orthodontics are provided to their children by Dr. Bonvino at Cosmopolitan Orthodontics.
Early evaluation offers two benefits: timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment. Prudent intervention guides growth and development, which can prevent serious problems down the road.
Other direct results of early interceptive treatment include:
- Space for crowded, erupting teeth is created
- Facial symmetry is created by influencing jaw growth
- The risk of trauma to protruding front teeth is reduced
- Preserved space for teeth that have not erupted
- Reduced need for extraction of one or more teeth
- Reduced treatment time with braces
According to studies conducted by the American Association of Orthodontists, untreated malocclusions can result in a number of problems:
- It’s more difficult to properly brush and floss crowded teeth. This may contribute to tooth decay and/or gum disease.
- Protruding teeth are more susceptible to accidental chipping or trauma.
- Crossbites can result in unfavorable growth and uneven tooth wear.
- Openbites can lead to tongue-thrusting habits and speech impediments.
Ultimately, orthodontics is about more than crafting an attractive smile - it creates a healthier you.